Wednesday, May 7, 2008

I'll See You in My Dreams

"I'll See You in My Dreams" is a popular song.
One of the most beloved and popular songs of its day, "I'll See You in My Dreams" was written by Isham Jones with lyrics by Gus Kahn. The song was published in 1924.

Below are its well-known lyrics:

INTRO

Though the days are long,
Twilight sings a song,
Of the happiness that used to be;
Soon my eyes will close,,
Soon I'll find repose,
And in dreams you're always near to me.''

CHORUS

I'll see you in my dreams,
Hold you in my dreams;,
Someone took you out of my arms,
Still I feel the thrill of your charms!,

Lips that once were mine,
''Tender eyes that shine,
They will light my way tonight,
I'll see you in my dreams!''


The song was chosen as the title song of the movie of the same name, a musical biography of Kahn. Popular recordings of it were made by many leading artists including Marion Harris (1924), Louis Amstrong, Pat Boone, Doris Day, Ella Fitzgerald, Tony Martin, Anita O'Day, Ezio Pinza, Jerry Lee Lewis (1958, instrumental) and Andy Williams.

The song was recorded by Django Reinhardt and the Quintet of the Hot Club of France and eventually inspired the great Merle Travis to record it as a guitar instrumental. Many other virtuoso guitarists including Chet Atkins and Marcel Dadi followed in Merle's footsteps and the piece has now become a standard guitar showpiece.

The song was on the soundtrack for the 1940 film Kitty Foyle, which won Ginger Rogers her only Academy Award Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role. It was recorded by Mario Lanza on his Coca-Cola Show of 1951-52 and is available on a CD compilation mastered from those same shows and featuring the same title "I'll See You in My Dreams" released by record company BMG in 1998.

The English singer Joe Brown performed a version of the song on the Ukulele as the finale of the George Harrison tribute concert, Concert For George, in 2002.

No comments: